Sunday, 3 August 2014

I Apologize

I saw you searching my eyes, for me, within me
For my heart, you thought I had.
All I could do, but turn away.
The heat of your gaze I couldn’t stand,
Blame the conscience. 
Call it my guilt, if you want. 

I saw you polishing my shoes
The perfect black you paint. 
And I throw at you a coin, as the books you crave for,
Burden my satchel.

I was there when you were fed on tears
Waiting for the pizza I ordered.
Salt was to blame.

I was there when your tent was run over
Too comfy inside the AC car.
I saw you at the crossroad,
Longing for a helping hand
Blame the sun, I couldn’t walk upto you.

I saw you there, lying in the dirt.
Flies feasting on your wound that bled 
I could only stare.
My new sneakers, snow white.

I heard him thrashing you and could’ve rung the bell for you
The shackles but kept me moving past you.

I was there when they stripped you
A cry away, with ears mine shut tight.

When fire of hatred burned down the sanctum of love
I was there. Shut safe in a coffin.
A pitcher away from water that could kill the flames….

I saw them blow off your dreams but couldn’t move
A castle of mine I had to cling to.

I apologize for being there but not there.
For hearing your pleas but not listening.
For having thought of you a moment
And tossing you into nothingness the next.

For having seen your tears and heard you wail,
Too stagnant to wake up for you.

I was there when darkness swallowed you
And evil overpowered you
I heard you mourn your miseries
I saw you fighting endless darkness.

I could’ve chose to speak up
But silence had me in its grasp.
I could’ve stepped out of the glass walls
But chains had me stead fast.

World, but I aw-ed at it all.
I talked of it to curtained ears,
The only revolution I could think of.

Born with senses five yet grown up not to feel any,
Sorry world, all that I was just another human.



This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 48; the forty-eighth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.

35 comments:

  1. nice one.. keep sharing more awesome updates... keep connected

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rahul for dropping by :)

      Delete
  2. "I apologize for being there but not there.For hearing your pleas but not listening.For having thought of you a moment
    And tossing you into nothingness the next. "

    Paru, bowing before you for this poem, and for these lines especially. Really proud of you for writing this, the way you've done.

    So much for all the 'convenient memory loss' we suffer from !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chechi :) Thank you so much :D You can never imagine how much your words mean to me.

      Delete
  3. What a great piece of writing. See, your motive is now being reflected in your poem. There are many lines that won my heart.

    Keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simran :D Yup. Our dreams are what keep us going and I couldnt let it not be reflected here too! :)

      Delete
  4. I saw this by accident, relate so much with this world and all of us...

    "I apologize for being there but not there.
    For hearing your pleas but not listening."

    All-powerful words pointing at each of us...

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the blog Mridubala :) And thank you so much for those words :)

      Delete
  5. Hard hitting words. Its not enough to call it just a nice poem it demands to be humane, to feel the senses, to do something.
    ...............

    ReplyDelete
  6. truly a masterpiece, this is a kind of poem I like to write, why not I have written this? superb, painful reality but that's the truth

    Letter Of Apology

    I have followed your blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Profound and Poignant... the sad reality...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nimi :) Welcome to the blog.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Powerful and profound.
    Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I was there, but not there for you.." Beautiful poem Parvathy! May you win this time!

    Someone is Special

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could’ve chose to speak up
    But silence had me in its grasp.
    I could’ve stepped out of the glass walls
    But chains had me stead fast.

    These lines are pretty much the story of most of us, we see the evil but we don't wanna get our hands dirty, its such a pity that though we can react we never do.. Beautifully written Parvathy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it right Adarsh. We see but never want to indulge. Thank you so much for dropping by :)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Biyase :) Thank Aparna from my side :)

      Delete
  13. True! How well you have expressed the ignorant, selfish selves of humans. We are that way and far too often we turn a blind eye over the sufferings of others. Very well written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. We have evolved to be so much inward looking that even the slightest of a cut on out fingers can hurt, but not the brutalities the world impose on our fellow beings.

      Delete
  14. I could understand this, and it touched me :) I knew it would be top 3 the moment I read it, and I was right. Keep writing such pieces, Paru.

    ReplyDelete